Cowdray Park Polo Club
Boasting a long and illustrious history, Cowdray Park is recognised worldwide as the home of British Polo. Set in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty within Viscount Cowdray’s 16,500 acre estate in West Sussex, the game of polo has been played at Cowdray for close on a century – the first competitive tournaments being recorded in 1910. By the 1920s a whole series of competitions with dedicated cups and trophies was firmly established, although the sport in the UK was to all but die out during the Second World War.
Cowdray Park Polo Club’s significance in the re-establishment of polo in England following the Second World War cannot be underestimated. This was largely due to the efforts of a legendary name in the history of polo, John, 3rd Viscount Cowdray, who died in 1995. Father of the present Viscount, he turned Cowdray Park into one of the most famous polo clubs in the world – firmly establishing its place at the very pinnacle of the sport both nationally and internationally.
The Gold Cup continues to be the highlight of the polo season at Cowdray. Sponsored since 1995 by leading champagne house Veuve Clicquot, the Gold Cup welcomed its Golden Jubilee in 2006 with due celebration.