Spencer House is a magnificent 18th-century private palace located in London . From its conception, Spencer House was recognised as one of the most ambitious town houses ever built in London and it is, today, the city’s only great private palace from the era to survive.
Spencer House was built in 1756-66 for John, first Earl Spencer, an ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales. Situated in the heart of St. James’s, Spencer House is a short distance from Buckingham Palace, St. James’s Palace and the Palace of Westminster, and has a splendid terrace and garden with wonderful views of Green Park.
Without doubt one of the most important historic buildings in London, the great beauty of Spencer House has survived despite some war damage and an extraordinary variety of occupiers from the Ladies Army and Navy Club to Christie’s and the Economist Intelligence Unit.
Spencer House has regained the full splendour of its 18th-century appearance after a 10-year restoration programme by RIT Capital Partners plc, under the Chairmanship of Lord Rothschild.
Spencer House is now partly used as offices and as a place of entertainments in the historic setting of the State Rooms. Here the remarkable and accurate restoration is complemented by a grand collection of paintings and furniture specially assembled for the House, including five major Benjamin West paintings graciously lent by Her Majesty The Queen.